January isn’t really seen as the most ‘happy’ month of the year is it? But if you have 10 minutes and follow the steps below I guarantee I can get you feeling happier.
It all centers around being grateful. Being truly grateful is a great skill. It’s not always an easy one but it is one that gets easier the more you practice.
Firstly why don’t we take a little pre minute to make January feel a little better – it gets a bad rep but it’s the start of a fresh, spangly New Year. It’s also the quiet, rather non-eventful month where there’s very few distractions. That gives you a whole 4 weeks to work out what you want 2017 to be all about. To me I see that as a hum dinger of a month! Chin up January!
Now here’s your 10 minute turn around –
- Take 1 minute to tell someone you are grateful for them. Right now. Drop them a text, send them an email, turn around to a work colleague and just say thanks.
- Take 1 minute to write down 5 things you are grateful for here and now.
- Take 5 minutes to identify someone you could help and do just that. An introduction, a tea, a run to the corner shop, a commitment to a chat, a smile.
- Pick the one task today that you are least looking forward to. Challenge yourself to turn it into a positive, another reason to be grateful in under 2 minutes.
- In 1 minute write a post-it for tomorrow. Stick it on your computer. Or write a reminder on your phone and give it an alarm time. Write on it ‘I’m grateful for today’. Your tomorrow self will thank you.
If the above hasn’t impacted you in any way… look out the window – if your view’s not great then the sky will do. We live in an amazing world – take a moment to remind yourself of it.
If you want to look at how being grateful can improve your life further take a look at my new course, GLIMPSE. The first part has just come out and concentrates on Gratitude. Find it here.